Image Map

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

You might be from Texas....

The Houston Rodeo is upon us and it is literally my favorite time of year! I love going to the rodeo, mostly because a lot of the participants are from my hometown or I went to college with.

I graduated from Tarleton State in Stephenville, TX if you don't know anything about the area, well Stephenville is THE Cowboy Capital of the World! And let me just say it is not unusal to have 4-5 members of the Rodeo Team in your classes. If you are lucky enough one will be in your group meaning that most Thursday-Sunday's will be unavailable to work on group projects with you.

I was lucky enough to have this happen to me, the first day of my marketing class my very first semester back this tall, lanky, team roper sat right beside me (this was before I knew this class would include groups). We ended up in a group together, our first assignment was get to know your group so we had to create a power point together about fun facts about all of us along with pictures. This is when I finally understood that this kid wasn't just some team roper. He was good and I mean WAY good!

We were super close!
We became friends that semester and after that didn't have another class together. Fast forward to March of 2013, I was at Rodeo Houston and I texted him asking when I was going to be watching him here. His response was hopefully in 2 years. Last year he won Houston and made his first appearance in the NFR.

Last night my friend invited me to go with her to the rodeo to see The Band Perry (if you haven't seen them, stop what you are doing RIGHT now and go buy tickets for their show, they WILL NOT disappoint.), I wasn't sure if I would know anyone that was up, but there is always a few from Stephenville, the surrounding area, or went to Tarleton. As the team ropers rode past to head to the boxes, I saw an all too familiar face. It was Shay! As he was making his way back to the other end of the area, I almost yelled at him, but decided against it.

The Band Perry
It is beyond surreal that just a few years ago he was sitting with me in a college class learning about marketing. It is even more surreal that he was roping exactly where he said he would be 3 years later. I am so very proud of him and all of his successes! He is a wonderful guy and an exceptional cowboy! If you are ever at a rodeo and he is signing autographs don't pass him up!
I may be going a little Fan Girl Crazy right now...





Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 comment:

  1. How awesome is that to see someone you became friends with hit the big time?! Super exciting! Love that you got a response from The Band Perry!

    ReplyDelete